Go Back   Robbie Williams Forum > Robbie Williams > Music & Lyrics

Old 12-10-13, 02:19 PM
Production Manager

I think Guy is around to stay. Not exclusively like before but as a regular. Co writer/producer. I'm guessing he will be MD for the. Swing "tour" next year?

I can't believe now I wasn't over keen for Robbie to team up with Guy again. I just thought "been there done it" but based on these four back to back songs - Blasphemy, Brits 2013, Shine My Shoes and now Go Gentle - I'm really enjoying the songs he's involved with and I'd like him to carry on pretty please.

It might not be next year or the year after but I think co-writes with Guy will always be a constant in Robbie's professional life.
Old 28-10-13, 01:21 PM
Road Crew

Swing both ways comes in a really good time for me (and I know a person for whom it will be a perfect Xmas gift - that's a happy coincidence)

I don't know how Robbie (again!) found such a good set of people and songs - a very good compilation
Old 29-10-13, 07:17 AM
Fan

Default Swing Both Ways Vinyl?

I hope the album will come out on vinyl to. Anyone knows ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinab View Post

SWINGS BOTH WAYS: THE NEW ALBUM OUT 18TH NOVEMBER

12 Sep 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, hold on to your trilbies - Robbie's got a new album coming your way! Swings Both Ways will be released on 18th November and is available to pre-order now.

Following in the rhythmic footsteps of Robbie's most successful album to date, 2001's Swing When You're Winning, the new record features a mix of classic covers and new material as well as duets with some of pop's biggest names, including Lily Allen, Michael Bublé, Kelly Clarkson, Olly Murs and Rufus Wainwright.

HEAR THE OPENING TRACK, SHINE MY SHOES, NOW
You don't have to wait until November to get your first taste of Swings Both Ways - pre-order your copy on iTunes and you'll be able to download the album's rip-roaring opening track, Shine My Shoes, instantly.

The album comes in two editions - standard and deluxe, which features three extra tracks and some very special bonus studio footage.

ABOUT THE ALBUM
"First of all I wanted to do a Swing album, because I wanted to do a Swing album," said Robbie about the new release. "I always knew I’d do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it." Read the rest of Robbie's thoughts on the album below.

If you can't wait to hear more, as well as downloading Shine My Shoes you can enjoy this little snippet of what's to come, starring Robbie and friends:

PRE-ORDER SWINGS BOTH WAYS NOW
Swings Both Ways is available on CD and as a digital download. Take a look at the tracklisting below and use the links that follow to pre-order your copy now.

STANDARD
1. Shine My Shoes
2. Go Gentle
3. I Wan'na Be Like You (feat. Olly Murs)
4. Swing Supreme
5. Swings Both Ways (feat. Rufus Wainwright)
6. Dream A Little Dream (feat. Lily Allen)
7. Soda Pop (feat. Michael Bublé)
8. Snowblind
9. Puttin' On The Ritz
10. Little Green Apples (feat. Kelly Clarkson)
11. Minnie The Moocher
12. If I Only Had a Brain
13. No One Likes a Fat Pop Star

DELUXE
1. Shine My Shoes
2. Go Gentle
3. I Wan'na Be Like You (feat. Olly Murs)
4. Swing Supreme
5. Swings Both Ways (feat. Rufus Wainwright)
6. Dream A Little Dream (feat. Lily Allen)
7. Soda Pop (feat. Michael Bublé)
8. Snowblind
9. Puttin' On The Ritz
10. Little Green Apples (feat. Kelly Clarkson)
11. Minnie The Moocher
12. If I Only Had a Brain
13. No One Likes a Fat Pop Star
14. Where There's Muck
15. 16 Tons
16. Wedding Bells

Video:
Dream a Little Dream (feat. Lily Allen)
Soda Pop (feat. Michael Bublé)
I Wan'na Be Like You (feat. Olly Murs)
Swings Both Ways (feat. Rufus Wainwright)

Pre-order Swings Both Ways:

Pre-order the deluxe edition:

FIRST SINGLE, GO GENTLE, RELEASED 4TH NOVEMBER
The first single to be released from Swings Both Ways will be Go Gentle, which lands on 4th November. The first new song written with Guy Chambers, here's what Robbie had to say about it:

"‘Go Gentle’ is about my daughter, Teddy, effectively making a promise to her that I wasn’t sure I could keep before she was born – it’s a song that I want to live up to because it’s actually the most important thing that I will do on the planet while I’m here, which is either be a good or a bad Dad."

ROBBIE SAYS
First of all I wanted to do a Swing album, because I wanted to do a Swing album. I always knew I’d do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it. I’m enjoying show-biz and I’m enjoying my life and my understanding of where I am now is that there needs to be an event every time I bring out a record. The album this time is a definite ode and a loving glance towards a period on the planet that I was never invited to ‘coz I wasn’t there...I wanted to be, which I feel still very strongly linked to.

Going in I planned it to be very similar to the last one, and then I realized – that’s actually not what I wanted. It’s different – it’s not all covers, I had some songs that I wanted the world to hear and check out and maybe become part of the fabric of their lives, if I’m lucky enough, that I’ve had a hand in writing. So it’s very very similar to the last one, and very different – and hopefully I’m off to romance the world!

‘Go Gentle’ is about my daughter, Teddy, effectively making a promise to her that I wasn’t sure I could keep before she was born – it’s a song that I want to live up to because it’s actually the most important thing that I will do on the planet while I’m here, which is either be a good or a bad Dad. It’s more important than four nights at Wembley, three nights at Knebworth – way more important. It scares me that I might not be able to live up to it. I’m still learning to be a dad, I’m still learning what that means. All I know is that instantly somebody came into my life, that I would gladly die for - and that’s pretty powerful. The song’s a promise of protection – a bit of a song saying, ‘watch out for boys like me!’

LILY SAYS
‘Dream A Little Dream’ is one of my favourite songs of all time so I didn’t hesitate when Robbie asked me if I’d like to duet with him on it. I was a bit nervous when we recorded it, especially when I asked him what he wanted me to do and he said something like ‘just be you’. But I’m really happy with it and think we do justice to a classic song.

RUFUS SAYS
Working with Robbie is a dream come true. I’m once again the envy of both sexes. Robbie is the real deal, full package, a total mensch and if I could come up with any more paired descriptive sayings I would use them as well.

OLLY SAYS
I absolutely loved working with Rob on this album. After touring Europe with him this year it seemed only right that we record something together, and “I Wan’na Be Like You” is such a classic sing-a-long tune. It’s always brilliant when you get to work with your mates!
Old 29-10-13, 05:27 PM
Tour Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundi96 View Post
I have to confess that I don´t know how to listen to iTunes either and I lose rapidly interest in trying when it is too complicated. Unfortunately I am in Germany so I can´t see the video of the snipets either and besides there are 3 songs missing so I would be grateful if you - or anybody else - could help me a little with iTunes.
\

I'll gladly help you. Search/google - itunes UK (you know they are available there) in upper right hand corner type robbie williams swings both ways, hit enter key - voila!! Click on the number at left of song title & it will play. easy peasy.

Added - After you get to itunes uk; click on itunes store in upper right hand corner then once on store page type robb.........

Last edited by bloomoon; 29-10-13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 05:26 PM
Fan

I expect this new album and new tour with great anticipation!!
Old 01-11-13, 06:59 PM
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomoon View Post
\

I'll gladly help you. Search/google - itunes UK (you know they are available there) in upper right hand corner type robbie williams swings both ways, hit enter key - voila!! Click on the number at left of song title & it will play. easy peasy.

Added - After you get to itunes uk; click on itunes store in upper right hand corner then once on store page type robb.........
Hi Bloomoon, I just now found your post but thanks to your guidance I could unbelievably enjoy 16 Tons. That song sung in German was my very first favourite song ever 30 years ago when I listened as a little kid with my schoolmate to the old shellac discs of my schoolmate´s grandmother. I could hardly believe it when Robbie played it on the last Rudebox Radio session and now I´m delighted that he sings it himself. So the circle is closing for me.
Old 02-11-13, 02:06 AM
Tour Manager

Quote:
Hi Bloomoon, I just now found your post but thanks to your guidance I could unbelievably enjoy 16 Tons. That song sung in German was my very first favourite song ever 30 years ago when I listened as a little kid with my schoolmate to the old shellac discs of my schoolmate´s grandmother. I could hardly believe it when Robbie played it on the last Rudebox Radio session and now I´m delighted that he sings it himself. So the circle is closing for me.
I'm glad you can listen to them now; it's still a long time to get the album.
Funny I should come here after just 'submitting' a post where I made this declaration about myself: quote- "Has eargasms; nevermind, wholebodygasms over 16 Tons because of his (Rob's) voice (haven't confessed to that one...until now lol )" - and now for you I'm already repeating it again.
ROFL times ....300!! - Ernie Ford with Kids sooo funny! http://youtu.be/rXGEREqFmJ4
Ernie Ford, Sixteen Tons - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1980...sGNUJwRbm7rWrA

Ok, more info. Enter Swings Both Ways (Deluxe Audio & Visual) in the upper right hand corner; this page is better. Scroll to the bottom & click on Preview All & it will automatically play thru them all. Yesssss!

Last edited by bloomoon; 02-11-13 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 08:10 AM
Production Manager

I've only listened to the clips once I must admit just out of curiosity. I'm waiting to hear the album in its entirety. I prefer it that way.
Old 02-11-13, 07:01 PM
Tour Manager

Quote:
lundi96, I don't know if you've seen my extra info post, but now I have a change to that!
I tried to get back to the page that let you auto run thru the 'preview all' today & couldn't, using the extra info I gave. I remembered I clicked on to the 'video' picture at the bottom left corner...just to see; then that took me straight to the preview all page.
So, in itunes uk just type in robbie williams swings both ways, then scroll down to picture of the video on bottom left, left click on it; then scroll down & click on preview all; then it will automatically run thru all the song previews; if that what you even want - I know I do. Whew!
Old 03-11-13, 02:11 PM
Driver

Bloomoon, I don´t know what I do different today but I don´t even get a match when I type “robbie williams swings both ways”. A few days ago I found a really long prelistening to the songs, I think about 1,5 min. Yesterday I was on another place in itunes and could listen at least 20 sec to each song and today I don´t find anything. I guess I´m a hopeless case when it comes to itunes. But I managed it once, even twice and so I´m good.